What the Odor From Your Drinking Water is Warning You About
Foul odor in drinking water is a sign that your water has been contaminated by harmful organic compounds. That bad smell is not just unappealing, it could actually be an indication of bacteria growth and risk for serious illnesses, such as kidney disease, urinary tract infections, and gastrointestinal disorders.
In other words, you need to take care of smelly water in Maryland immediately using water quality solutions. Here are some possible reasons why your water is stinking and why you may need to contact National Water Service for water treatment solutions in Maryland today.
Smelly Water Could Mean Your water is infected with bacteria
No, you are not dreaming – it is really sewer water that you are smelling.
Your water might be infected with bacteria and other microbes if the odor you smell is sewage. And if you see white or greenish-black slime coating on the heating tank walls, it might be a sign that there is mold growing inside your water storage or pipes – which can also cause sewage or rotten eggs-like odor.
Bacteria can be caused by anything from soap to food. And it usually happens when you forget to clean the tank on time. Needless to say, consuming water that is this toxic can lead to a plethora of health issues.
Contact National Water Service in Maryland if you think your water tank or pipes need inspected due to smelly odor.
There may be hydrogen sulfide in your water if your water has an odor
Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless gas that has the smell of rotten eggs and may cause dangerous corrosion in metal parts in your water system. Once it evaporates, it leaves behind a yellow stain that can ruin pipes and fixtures.
But that’s not even the biggest issue. The problem starts when your water starts tasting like sulfur, which neither sounds healthy nor is. So, if you notice a rotten egg odor when you turn on the faucet, check for the production of hydrogen sulfide by contacting a local water treatment company in Maryland near you.
smelly water could mean You live near industrial waste
Sometimes, the odor isn’t enough to tell you enough about the health of your water. If your water tastes foul, more specifically salty, it could be a sign of industrial discharge in your area.
Unpleasant tastes from high salinity, various forms of acidity, and the presence of heavy metals, for example, are indicators that your water needs attention because these problems could be caused by chemical contamination.
Although this isn’t to say that industries aren’t regulated, but accidents can happen even with careful regulation. And wastewater and other byproducts of manufacturing can end up anywhere.
So, even if you don’t live in close proximity to an industrial unit but are experiencing odor in your drinking water, it is wise to get it tested. Maryland Water Companies also recommend you keep an eye on local news to see if a spill has happened in your area.
Your water might have high levels of chlorine
Chlorine helps kill bacteria and other microbes. It is a disinfectant added to water to prevent bacterial and fungal growth.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires the amount of chlorine in your on-tap water to be between 0.5 and 4.0 mg per liter – the highest disinfectant concentration allowed for drinking water in the US. But you might be able to sense it even when it is as low as 1 mg per liter.
A bad odor can be an early indicator of higher chlorine content than what is safe to drink. In fact, when ingested in high levels over time, chlorine can be toxic for your body.
Chlorine smells exactly like a swimming pool. So, when your water starts smelling like a swimming pool, consider asking your local water district for a dechlorination kit or get water quality solutions from a professional water company in Maryland.
There may be decaying matter in your storage or pipes
Water with a fishy smell is likely caused by the decaying of organic matter or the presence of a group of organisms known as anaerobic bacteria. These bacteria thrive in an oxygen-depleted environment that is rich in manganese, which can be found in well water.
Most contaminants in your water aren’t detectable by the human noses unless they are amplified. So, if you smell something, the root of the problem might already be bigger than you can manage. The sooner you act, the better!
To treat the odor, you may need to aerate the water by introducing oxygen into it. Water treatment can also be done with the help of water filtration systems.
How smelly water can affect your health
Chemicals with strong odors can cause both short- and long-term health problems in humans. They can irritate your lungs, eyes, and nose while some chemicals can cause more serious health effects, such as cancer.
Not only that but consuming smelly water can also cause kidney and liver, anemia, and stomach problems over time. This is why Maryland Water Companies urge homeowners to invest in a water treatment system to protect their health.
That being said, everyone has a different reaction to chemicals, depending on how they are exposed to the toxins. But no matter how it affects you, smelly water must be treated. It isn’t a matter of choice.
What can you do to treat your water?
A lot of times your tap water won’t taste salty, but it still might be carrying the taste of chemicals. The best way to know for sure is to have your water professionally tested, so you can get the facts about just what needs to be filtered out.
As the first step, you can consider water filtration systems for water purification. They will help you get rid of the smell and eliminate the poor taste. If you don’t mind investing a tad more time and money, you can consider getting your water tanks cleaned by experts and asking them about total home water treatment systems.
Smelly water can also be caused by plumbing issues – ranging from a rusty water line or a broken pipe in your house. Therefore, it is essential to consult with a plumber for complete water treatment. National Water Service offers all of these services and more, so contact us today if smelly odor is a problem in your home.